Sunday, March 28, 2010

Disabled woman in Malaysia honored as "state-level icon"

From The Star in Malaysia. In the picture, Katijah is at home with her husband Abdul Halim Hapiz and son Muhammad Iman Naim.



Being labelled a disabled person has never stopped Katijah Abu Samah, 34, from pursuing her dreams and living life to the fullest.

The secondary school teacher, who was born with deformed legs and is only 115cm tall, was recently recognised by the state as a model for people with disabilities.

Katijah, who hails from Rantau, said her handicap had never got in her way or influenced her choices in life, thanks to her supportive family.

“As far as I am concerned, I am normal. I was born this way and have lived my life like this. I don’t think of myself as being disabled.

“I’ve had just as many opportunities as everyone else and I worked hard to achieve my dreams,” said the recently named state-level disabled women’s icon.

The special education teacher at SMK Taman Tuanku Ja’afar near Seremban was the toast of the school when she was awarded by state women’s affairs, and family development committee chairman Datuk Zainab Nasir.

Katijah, who graduated with an honours degree in Malay Language from Universiti Putra Malaysia, said greater awareness on the plight of the disabled had led to increased opportunities for people like her.

“Today, more people are aware of the plight of special people like me and I am glad to say that the perceptions have changed. We may be disabled but we are not inept. Anybody can do just about anything if they set their minds to it.

“I am happy to be a role model to others in the disabled community.

“Many people view their disability as a setback. I’m living proof that a disability is not an obstacle to success,” she said.

The cheerful Katijah has been married for five years to businessman Abdul Halim Hapiz Md Yusop, 34, and the couple has a two-year-old son, Muhammad Iman Naim.

Both father and son are born with a medical condition commonly known as dwarfism.

“I met my husband after I participated in activities organised by the national Little People Welfare Organisation.

“It was love at first sight and I must say we are very happy together. We (referring to herself, husband and son) may be smaller in stature but that does not stop us from living our lives.

“I have a full time job, do the housework, cook and take care of my family just like most other women. I am independent and capable of looking after myself,” she said.

The mother of one, who drives herself to work in a “modified” Proton Wira Aeroback, is also a source of strength to her students.

“Although people are more open-minded now, these children (with disabilities) may face challenges. Whether it’s being teased or finding it difficult to overcome an obstacle in their daily routines, they look to me for encouragement and support.

“Every teacher wants to see his students become successful. That, I believe, is my life’s purpose — to help others achieve their full potential. Really, that is the true measure of success,” she said.

SMK Taman Tuanku Ja’afar’s headmistress Zaleha Siran said Katijah’s hard work and perseverance against the odds was exemplary.

“She chose to teach special education as she felt the children would be able to identify with her and she was right.

“All the students and teachers here look up to her with respect and that is just amazing,” she said adding that she was proud of Katijah’s success.